While it’s true that for the most part cats a very good at keeping themselves clean and neat looking, there are times when they need a little help from their humans. However, cats are generally known for being particular about their human interaction so how do you make it better for the both of you?
Here are some great tips on making grooming time fun.
- The longer the hair is on a cat, the longer it would take care of. Similarly, the longer it is the easier it can get matted up. Make sure that you regularly brush your cat (whether it has short or long hair) so that every time you groom them it can be easily done.
- If you are someone who would forget to regularly groom their cat, then it might be a good idea to consult with a groomer, especially for cats that have long hair.
- Consider investing in a flea comb if your cat is an outdoor cat. It is very easy for fleas to find a place to live among all that fur.
- Grooming mitts is an option that would cover more area at once and would make your cat feel like you were petting them.
- Make it fun for your cat. Mix in grooming strokes with the brush along with regular petting and make sure to approach your cat in a friendly way.
- Using restraint. It’s ok to occasionally use restraint on your cat in a gentle manner. Let go if they start to panic. Don’t try to force your cat to sit still if they do not want to- you will wind up with unpleasant scratch marks.
- Know when to quit. It is a possibility that you will not be able to get all of the grooming done in one session, and that is ok. If you only get around to doing the back and tail, then you may need to try doing the legs and belly on the next day.
- If you are going to clip your cat’s nails, then there are some things you should know. Cat nail clippers will work, but so will normal clippers. In order to successfully cut them, gently squeeze the cat’s toe between your thumb and forefinger, which will extend the nail. Then you can gently clip off the sharp tip, and keep within the clear part of the nail to avoid the quick. It will help if you randomly play with your cat’s feet and toes, so they are accustomed to you touching the feet.